In olden times, narratives played a vital role in the medical industry. The recorded history and present illnesses of patients, their diagnostics, care and recovery were shared by medical experts, research centres, doctors and the patients. However, modern medicine and therapy changed everything. People started ignoring narratives and believed in facts or findings.
In today’s times, medical narrative has also evolved, which has led to the creation of NBM or narrative based medicine. NBM is very different from evidence based medicine (EBM). Medical narrative proficiency is gained by its successful application in the field of medicine.
Narrative reporting or warning is not easy to write, it takes considerable time and effort. Medical professionals do not have much time to spare, and to make a medical narrative report you have to adjust according to their busy schedules and gather all the details about a patient or any health related issue.
Different types of medical narrative:
- Narrative meant for medical research or training. Classifying several themes and writing the narrative accordingly.
- Understanding the core structure of the topic or theme, its medical history, doctor-patient relation, diagnosis, etc.
- Evidence narratives from various social science centres and medical research centres.
- Patient narratives based on serious adverse events or death, diverse clinical cases, etc
A typical patient narrative report or warning should be written in a specific way:
- The exact nature, the intensity of the medical issue and the final outcome of the event
- The medical course that led to the event
- Drug administration regularity
- Counter assessment
- Post mortem study (if relevant)
- The medical director’s and investigator’s opinion on the event
A narrative writing should be able to express all the messages in a clear and effective manner. It should also convey the true or relevant information collected from various sources in liaison with all the medical specialists. A good report or medical narrative warning has the complete story in a chronological order.